Have you been watching the Trump impeachment hearings? Most have not, but many have – over 13 million people, did watch the first day.
So what was the reaction of the public? Looking at public opinion polls, even from a left-wing pollster (Do Americans Support Impeaching Trump?), the hearings have changed few opinions – click here (it is fairly evenly divided). RFS1 typical uses Rasmussen as one of the better daily pollsters. As of Friday, November 15, 2019, The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll shows that 50% of likely U.S. voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. And 49% disapprove. The country is split right down the middle.
Many of the conservatives do spend much time on social media – often in chat rooms to discuss the issues of the day. They are appalled at the Democrat impeachment clown show and the lies being said – in effect doing a soft coup of a dually elected president. Yes, Democrats have their opinions too. Do we see honest, non-biased reporting? Given the country is split right down the middle, let’s do a tour of mainstream media headlines and see how they are portraying these hearings:
NBC – 5 things we learned from Marie Yovanovitch’s impeachment testimony:
- Witness intimidation
- Stirring testimony, but no new bombshells
- A consistent GOP strategy
- Emphasis on how Russia benefited
- Larger focus on Rudy Giuliani’s role
ABC – 5 key takeaways from testimony by former Ukraine Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch
- Yovanovitch directly disputed conspiracy theories embraced by Trump
- Republicans and Democrats thanked her for her service, as Trump knocked her on Twitter
- Yovanovitch says she had three contacts with Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and remains in the dark as to his motives.
- She described the toll on her personally and professionally
- Yovanovitch says her experience in Ukraine could green light corruption abroad
CBS – 8 striking moments in the 2nd day of public impeachment hearings
- Yovanovitch: “This is about far more than me”
- Yovanovitch says she was “shocked and devastated” by comments made on July 25 call
- Trump tweets attack on Yovanovitch. She responds.
- Nunes says Yovanovitch’s testimony is more a “human resources” issue
- Nunes says Democrats acted “like some kind of strange cult”
- Yovanovitch says her ouster was “big hit for morale”
- Nunes takes swipe at Yovanovitch
- Yovanovitch says attacks have had “chilling effect” on diplomats
CNN US Politics – stories headlines:
- Witness overheard US ambassador tell Trump that Ukraine would investigate Biden
- Donald Trump’s very historic and very bad week
- Trump ignores Pentagon advice and intervenes in military war crimes cases
- Trump tweets attack on impeachment witness during her hearing. She called it ‘very intimidating.’
- White House blames NSC aide for discrepancy between readout and new transcript of Trump-Zelensky April call
FOX – Nothing on the US Home page.
- You would have to go to the politics page to see their lead story: Yovanovitch testimony overshadowed by partisan brawl over Trump tweet
International BBC – only the following story:
- The lead impeachment story: How a Trump tweet shook impeachment hearing
International Euronews – only the following story:
- The lead impeachment story: Trump’s tweets attacking impeachment witness draw angry response
Most of these headlines are anti-Trump, anti-Republican, and anti-conservative. Remember, the country is split evenly for a reason. Why are we not getting a balanced view of the news? There are virtually no rebuttals to the Democratic narrative – not really even on Fox. Is it no wonder that conservatives believe that the mainstream media is nothing but part of the Democratic propaganda machine.